GETTING EVEN WITH PIGMENTATION
We all love a glowing, even complexion, but there’s a culprit keeping many of us from experiencing this – especially in Australia where avoiding sun exposure seems like mission impossible. We’re talking about pigmentation – think Melasma (also known as ‘pregnancy mask), uneven skin tone, brown patches, sunspots and age spots. Basically, all the discolouration that usually has you reaching for your foundation to give your skin a consistent tone.
WHAT IS PIGMENTATION?
Pigmentation occurs when the body produces an excess of melanin (the skin cells responsible for giving your skin colour). This deposit of pigment in the visible layers of skin is usually presents in a blotchy, uneven manner, darker than the rest of your skin. The triggers for this are varied, from hormones (responsible for Melasma and ’pregnancy mask’), genetic predisposition (thanks Mum and/or Dad), and of course sun exposure. The good news is that our exposure to the sun is one factor that we can have control over that does make a visible and important difference to preventing pigmentation and a raft of other skin concerns.
HOW DO I STOP PIGMENTATION FROM GETTING WORSE?
You’ve heard it before, but we must stress this again: wear sunscreen every single day without fail – rain, hail or shine (did we make our point?). Unprotected sun exposure causes gradual damage to the skin so use a broad-spectrum SPF to protect from both UVA and UVB rays (UVB are responsible for burning, while UVA cause photo-ageing, pigmentation, collagen breakdown and premature wrinkles). *Pro Tip: pair with a fabulous hat and shades.
HOW CAN I TREAT MY PIGMENTATION?
Firstly, we take a good look at your pigmentation with an Observ skin analysis which goes beyond the surface to show what’s sitting beneath ready to emerge over time. The Observ analyses the skin by taking photographs under different lighting, which will reveal any problems that your skin may have (not limited to pigmentation) and helps our technicians in establishing the ideal treatment for your skin.
Treatment options for pigmentation include:
- Advanced Pigmentation Peel, which causes the top layer of skin the shed along with the pigmentation it carries to reveal a more even tone. Depending on the depth of your pigmentation 3 peels will be required 4-5 weeks apart to reach the majority of pigmentation.
- Candela Lasers - suitable for smaller areas and more superficial pigmentation and may require multiple treatments.
- Fraxel Laser is suitable for all types of pigmentation (even Melasma) and also addresses uneven texture, scarring and fine lines and wrinkles,
- NeoGen Evo is a plasma-based technology with High Energy settings to treat pigmentation and has similar additional benefits to Fraxel.
ACTIVE SKINCARE TO REDUCE AND CONTROL PIGMENTATION
A three-step attack is required to address pigmentation:
1. Prevent New Pigmentation Forming
2. Address Existing Pigmentation
3. Maintain Good Habits to prevent reoccurrence
By combining effective actives Issada Clinical Forula Skincare is the Power-Punch for pigmentation. Their combination of melanin inhibiting ingredients, skin brightening serums and exfoliation products help to reduce pigmentation and prevent it from reoccurring.
We recommend the following regimen for all forms of pigmentation. Collect your products in clinic or order direct from ISSADA using this link and receive FREE Shipping.
Whatever your skin type or concern at Ultimate Skin & Body Clinics we have the know-how to help you. Why not book a complimentary consultation with one of our expert team members.